Finding Inspiration

In the last few weeks, I found myself feeling stuck when it came to this inquiry. I did not feel inspired to paint and found it hard to think about what I wanted to do as my next step in this process. I finally sat down last night and dedicated time to this project. Starting with a simple google search, I did find myself to be inspired by some paintings done by other artists.

Photo by Tyla Penner (CC by 4.0). Painting inspiration from ArtPrintsFactory on Etsy, MoonlightPrintsStore on Etsy, and this YouTube video which was posted on the channel “AhmadArt”.

A few new techniques were used, including mixing my own color palettes, using more water on my brush to lighten areas of the painting, and using some negative unpainted space to add definition to some areas. I decided I was only going to use paint in these pieces, forcing myself to work with the paint to add details instead of relying on black markers or sharpies. I still feel like I am learning, and I have never thought of myself as an artist. But I no longer feel like I have a creative block, and I’m excited to keep trying out new painting skills.

← Previous Post

Next Post →

1. Recess Knitting

Thank you for sharing Tyla. It is amazing how much of being creative involves having a certain mondset about it. For a long time I didn’t consider myself to be a arty person for the fact that I don’t often choose painting or drawing as my medium. After I started to change the narrative of what being artistic is and the different forms it can take, I started to include myself in that definition. I love the paintings you have created so far and so look forward to seeing more!